Tutorial transcription editor (en)
Scope of transcription editor
Whether or not a text needs to be transcribed or a recognized text corrected, especially historic literature is very demanding on human transcriptors and proofreaders. These are particularly based on special characters and abbreviations that doesn't exist on regular computer keyboards.
Unicode-equivalents and the applicable digital print types need to be defined in advance and manually transfered into the transcribing text. Errors and irregularities are inevitable if they are not prevented by means of a wise working environment and well-defined workflow.
Furthermore, the staff hierarchy of many projects of transcribition requires a user management that allows, e.g. "correcting the correcture" by qualified staff. The development of Narragonien digital serves the requirements by means of an intuitive and operating system-independend web-based user interface.
The transcription editor enables the creation of exact character matching transcriptions in a controlled environment including the verification of correct encoding, full check about data (scans and electronic texts), as well as the consequently use of MUFI-Fonts for special character encoding.
A hierachical system of user privileges allow the inclusion of student assistants and seminar participants.
- Web appliacation
- Technology Java EE with GlassFish-Server
- CKEditor based user interface
- MUFI-unicodes and -fonts for transcriptions
- User account control with permission management
Access to the editor
After adaption and activation for the respective project, the transcription editor is available as a seperate webapplicatin. In order to work with the editor, you need a password-protected account.
Different security roles can be allocated to your user account:
- Gäste/Guests can watch allocated pages in the editor, but they may not edit them (currently not available)
- Mitarbeiter/collaborator may watch opus as well as single text pages and edit when allocated by the coordinator.
- Koordinatoren/Coordinators may edit any text just as any number of text as well as allocate opus and single textpages for editing to selective collaborators. Subsequently, they may check their progress and choose the final version for transcription. Furthermore, they may add new collaborators and coordiantors.
- Administratoren/administrators have the same privileges like collaboratores. Additionally, the have privileges to access extended system settings of the editor and the whole web environment.
Access to user and privileges management is only accessible to administrators and coordinators. By clicking on Administration/administration -> Benutzerverwaltung/user management an overview about all registered users ist opened.
Every entry may be edited by clicking on Bearbeiten/edit or deleted out of the database by clicking on Entfernen/remove. New users can be added by clicking on Hinzufügen/add.
The document administration is also only accessible to Administratoren/administrators and Koordinatoren/Coordinators. Furthermore, adding new opus is also only available to Administratoren/administrators and requires writing permissions to the server directory.
By means of document management, users with corresponding permissions may edit the opus and their corresponding meta data.
By clicking on Hinzufügen/add, an input mask to create a new opus is opened. Metadata fields that are marked by an asterisk sign ( * ) must be filled up in order to save the entity. Other fields are optional. If print types and depositories must be linked during the creation of an opus, they have to be created in advance in tabs Drucktypen/print types or Aufbewahrungsorte, respectively.
- Tabular overview: In this menu item you see a tabular overview of all opus. By clicking on the Spalten/columns botton, you may configure the shown columns by yourself. You may display important metadata, if you miss any.
- Edit metadata: Otherwise you can see the complete metadata of an opus by clicking on Bearbeiten/edit. Now you can also choose the type inventory needed for transcription (see below).
- Assign scans: If you have the permissions of a coordinator, you can call up the scan list by clicking on the button right next to the Bearbeiten/edit button. For that purpose, select the corresponding scans and click on Mitarbeiter zuweisen/assign to collaborator. Now a listing of project collaborator opens. Choose the collaborator and confirm your choice by clicking on Zuweisung/assign. Assignments that are already selected, can be removed by clicking on Zuweisung entfernen/remove assignment. Subsequently, you can save the changes by clicking on Speichern/save.
This view shows an overview about all print types installed on the system.
By clicking on the Hinzufügen/add button, an input mask opens in order to create a new print type. Metadata fields marked with an asterisk must be filled in order to save the entity. Any other fields are optional. Glyphs can be added either when a print type is created or afterwards.
Create and link of a glyph set happens in 2 steps:
- First of all, a Unicode-formatted csv-file that contains all glyphs to be linked needs to be created. For symbols that consist of two Unicodes, both of them have to be written in the same line sepearated by a tabulator.
- In the input mask, the csv-file now may be chosen to create a new print type in section "Glyphensatz/glyph set and uploaded.
Edit an existing print type: By clicking the Bearbeiten/edit-button, the input mask for editing the chosen print type is opened. The displayed fields and functions are the same as in the input mask when creating a print type.
Remove an existing print type: By clicking on the split-button menu Entfernen/remove, the confirmation dialogue to remove the chosen print type is opened.
Display and edit a list of glyphs: By clicking the split-button menu Glyphenliste/List of glyphs, the dialogue to display of the assigned glyphs is opened.
Edit the glyphs: The unicodes of the glyphs may be edited seperatedly of each other by clicking on the affecting unicode.
Mark as special sign: The checkbox in the column Sonderzeichen/special signs shows if the glyphs in the spread sheet of special signs assigned to the type of the opus, may be displayed or not.
Remove glyphe The recycle bin in the last column allows the deletion of the corresponding glyphe.
Work with the editor
Selection of glyphs
For selection of required special glyphs, there are currently two buttons with different layout available. One for vertical selection on the edge, the other one as a keyboard-like cross-fading. You may decide for you own which of them you may work more comfortable. The functions are both the same. By clicking on the relevant glyph, text will be inserted at the current position of the cursor. The available glyphs may be adapted in the metadata of the opus before.
From draft to release
The work with the editor is made for collaboration of collaborants, e.g. student assistants, and coordinators as supervision authority. Collaborants may edit the assinged transcriptions, save as draft or transmit the concluding release candidate to the appropriate coordinator. Coordinators may accept the proposal or send it back for revision.
By clicking on Speichern/save or Entwurf/draft, you can save you work. If you are of the mind that you have transcribed the text correctly or found all faults, you may define your editing as release candidate. In this case, the status changes to "release candidate". If you are collaborant, the scan is locked for further editing until a coordinator has examined the work.
As coordinator, you decide either to decline the release candidate. In this case, the text is marked as Abgelehnt/declined and submitted for re-edit. If you choose Abbrechen/abort, the text is marked as Abgelehnt/declined and not submitted once again. If you are satisfied with the work, you may bestätigen/confirm the release-candidate as correct version.
Wether or not you declined, aborted or confimed the text, as coordinator you can evaluate it as draft at any time. Furthermore, coordinators have all permisstion to edit like collaborants as well and can make corrections onself at anytime.