Tutorial transcription editor (en)
Scope of the transcription editor
Whether or not a text needs to be transcribed or a recognized text needs to be corrected, especially historic literature is very demanding on human transcriptors and proofreaders. These texts are particularly based on special characters and abbreviations that doesn't exist on regular computer keyboards.Unicode-equivalents and the applicable digital print types need to be defined in advance and manually transfered into the transcribing text. Errors and irregularities are inevitable if they are not prevented by means of a wise working environment and well-defined workflow. Furthermore, the staff hierarchy of many projects of transcribition requires a user management that allows for a "correcting of the correcture" by qualified staff. The development of Narragonien digital serves these requirements by means of an intuitive and operating system-independend web-based user interface.
The transcription editor enables the creation of exact character matching transcriptions in a controlled environment including the verification of correct encoding, full control about data (scans and electronic texts), as well as the consequent usage of MUFI-Fonts for special character encoding. A hierachical system of user privileges allow for the inclusion of student assistants and seminar participants.
- Web application
- Technology: Java EE with GlassFish-Server
- CKEditor based user interface
- MUFI-based unicodes and fonts for transcriptions
- User account control with rights management system
Access to the editor
After adaption and activation for the respective projects, the transcription editor is available as a seperate web application. In order to work with the editor, you need a password-protected account.
Different security roles can be allocated to your user account:
- Gäste/guests can watch allocated pages in the editor, but they may not edit them (currently not available).
- Mitarbeiter/collaborators may watch an opus as well as single text pages and may edit them when allocated by a coordinator.
- Koordinatoren/coordinators may edit any text and my also allocate pages for editing to selective collaborators. Subsequently, they may check their progress and choose the final version for transcription. Furthermore, they may add new collaborators and coordiantors.
- Administratoren/administrators have the same privileges as coordinators. Additionally, the have privileges to access extended system settings of the editor and the whole web environment.
Access to user and privileges management is only accessible to administrators and coordinators. By clicking on Administration/administration -> Benutzerverwaltung/user management an overview about all registered users ist opened.
Every entry may be edited by clicking on Bearbeiten/edit or deleted by clicking on Entfernen/remove. New users can be added by clicking on Hinzufügen/add.
The document administration is also only accessible to Administratoren/administrators and Koordinatoren/coordinators. Furthermore, adding a new opus is also only available to Administratoren/administrators and requires writing permissions to the server directory.
By means of document management, users with corresponding permissions may edit the opus and their corresponding metadata.
By clicking on Hinzufügen/add, the input mask for creating a new opus is opened. Metadata fields that are marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory, other fields are optional. If new print types and physical depositories of the original texts must be linked during the creation of an opus, they have to be created in advance in the tabs Drucktypen/print types and Aufbewahrungsorte/depository, respectively.
- Tabular overview: In this menu item, you see a tabular overview of all opus. By clicking on the Spalten/columns button, you may configure the shown columns by yourself. You may display important metadata, if you miss any.
- Edit metadata: Otherwise you can see the complete metadata of an opus by clicking on Bearbeiten/edit. Herein, you can also choose the type inventory needed for transcription (see below).
- Assign scans: If you have the permissions of a coordinator, you can call up the scan list by clicking on the button right next to the Bearbeiten/edit button. Select the corresponding scans and click on Mitarbeiter zuweisen/assign to collaborator. A list of project collaborator is opened. Choose the collaborator and confirm your choice by clicking on Zuweisung/assign. Assignments that are already selected, can be removed by clicking on Zuweisung entfernen/remove assignment. Subsequently, you can save the changes by clicking on Speichern/save.
This view shows an overview about all print types available in the editor.
By clicking on the Hinzufügen/add button, an input mask is opened in order to create a new print type. Metadata fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Glyphs can be added either when a print type is created or afterwards.
Glyph set: Creating and linking of a glyph set is a 2-step task:
- First, a Unicode-formatted csv-file containing all glyphs to be linked needs to be created. For symbols that consist of two Unicodes entities (e.g. letters with diacritics), both Unicodes have to be written in the same line sepearated by a tabulator.
- In the input mask, the csv-file now may be chosen to create a new print type in section "Glyphensatz/glyph set and then uploaded.
Edit an existing print type: By clicking the Bearbeiten/edit-button, the input mask for editing the chosen print type is opened. The displayed fields and functions are the same as in the input mask when creating a newc print type.
Remove an existing print type: By clicking on the split-button menu Entfernen/remove, the confirmation dialogue to remove the chosen print type is opened.
Display and edit a list of glyphs: By clicking the split-button menu Glyphenliste/List of glyphs, the dialogue to display the assigned glyphs is opened.
Edit the glyphs: The unicodes of the glyphs may be edited individually by clicking on the respective unicode.
Mark as special sign: The checkbox in the column Sonderzeichen/special signs shows if the glyphs in table may or my be not displayed for the opus in question.
Remove glyphe The recycle bin icon in the last column allows the deletion of the corresponding glyphe.
Work with the editor
Selection of glyphs
For selection of required special glyphs, there are currently two buttons with different layout available. One for vertical selection on the edge, the other one as a keyboard-like cross-fading. You may decide for you own which of them you can work more comfortable. The functions are both the same. By clicking on the relevant glyph, text will be inserted at the current position of the cursor. The available glyphs may be adapted in the metadata of the opus before.
From draft to release
The work with the editor is made for collaboration of collaborants, e.g. student assistants, and coordinators as supervision authority. Collaborants can edit the assinged transcriptions, save as draft or transmit the concluding release candidate to the appropriate coordinator. Coordinators may accept the proposal or send it back for revision.
|Release-Kandidat||= release candidate|
|Kontrolle (Koordinator)||= check (coordinator)|
|Abbrechen der Bearbeitung||= cancel editing|
By clicking on Speichern/save or Entwurf/draft, you can save you work. If you are of the mind that you have transcribed the text correctly or found all faults, you can define your editing as release candidate. In this case, the status changes to "release candidate". If you are collaborant, the scan is locked for further editing until a coordinator examined the work.
As coordinator, you decide either to decline the release candidate. In this case, the text is marked as Abgelehnt/declined and submitted for re-edit. If you choose Abbrechen/abort, the text is marked as Abgelehnt/declined and not submitted once again.If you are satisfied with the work, you may bestätigen/confirm the release-candidate as correct version.
Wether or not you declined, aborted or confimed the text, as a coordinator you can evaluate it as draft at any time. Furthermore, coordinators have all permisstion to edit like collaborants as well and can correct themselves at anytime.